Stay up to date with all the Campus COVID-19 News and Updates
COVID-19 Information and Guidance   |   AB 685 - Request for Anonymity on COVID Notifications to Unions



Individuals who devote time and expertise to UCR on a voluntary basis provide an important service to the campus. Many departments rely on volunteers to help support the University’s mission of teaching, research and public service. In turn, volunteers gain valuable experiences and a sense of personal satisfaction.


Contingent Workers (CWR) not an employee of UC; an individual engaged by UCR on a non-permanent basis to complete a specific function or task who do not have an employee relationship with UCR and do not receive compensation through UCPath.

Person of Interest (POI) not an employee of UC; and will not receive compensation through UCPath. The POI relationship is at the Business Unit level, and cannot be tied to a certain department or unit. POI is created when there is a location need for a person that is not performing any duties or functions in the service of the location however will need to exist in UCPath for location access issues, systems access, etc.

Student Intern is a student seeking to enhance their academic and career goals by gaining supervised practical experience and applying classroom theory to real world situations.

Volunteer is an individual providing service directly to and under the supervision of the university with no promise or expectation of compensation.

An individual is acting as a volunteer if the service provided meets the following conditions:

  • The service is provided directly to the University; and
  • The service is performed under the University’s control and supervision; and
  • The service is uncompensated; the volunteer is not paid, derives no academic recognition or any other tangible benefit though volunteers may be reimbursed for transportation, meals, and other incidental expenses.

The following groups are not considered volunteers:

  1. Individuals whose service is provided in pursuit of personal educational goals or to earn educational credit.
  2. Individuals receiving payment for services rendered from a non-university of California pay source (e.g., visitors receiving per diem or support from home institutions, employees of an organization with a contract to use university facilities).
  3. Individuals affiliated with and providing services on behalf of an external agency or service organization (e.g., Red Cross volunteers)
  4. Off-campus volunteers sponsored by but not under the direct supervision of the university (e.g., student teachers).
  5. Groups or individuals providing fundraising, public outreach, or other support services as described in UC Policy on Support Groups, Campus Foundations, and Alumni Associations.
  6. Individuals holding academic “without salary” appointments.
  7. Retired employees desiring occasional access to university facilities.

Volunteer Registration

Departments that want to use volunteers must complete have their volunteer submit a Volunteer Application Form with Human Resources. Registered volunteers are eligible for coverage under the University’s Workers’ Compensation Insurance Program. 

Waiver of Liability

In consideration of their eligibility for coverage under the University’s Workers’ Compensation Insurance Program and in compliance with University policy, volunteers must sign the Waiver of Liability. When volunteers sign the Waiver they give up the right to sue the University for injury or loss they may suffer as a result of their volunteer activity.

Risk Mitigation

Departments that utilize the services of volunteers must take appropriate measures to mitigate risks to the volunteers themselves and to the University, its students, faculty, staff, and guests who avail themselves of the services of volunteers. Depending upon the risk involved, this may include providing special training or supervision, personal protective equipment and/or require certifications, immunizations, health assessments, special internal control procedures, and/or criminal background checks. Departments must employ the same measures with volunteers as they would with employees to mitigate and eliminate the risks associated with their activities and they must adhere to University policy and applicable state and Federal law.

Training & Accessing the Learning Center

Volunteers and contingent workers in your department are subject to the UCR Volunteer Policy 650-85. This Policy states:

  • A volunteer assignment must be established prior to the commencement of work.
    • Unpaid Student Intern: All unpaid student intern volunteers who are performing service solely for their personal educational goals unrelated to the pursuit of their academic degree should be appointed as a Staff Intern, Code CWR 004.
    • Unpaid Volunteers: All other unpaid volunteers should be appointed as a Contingent Worker.
  • All contingent workers, including temporary agency workers, must be entered in UCPath.

If a volunteer or contingent worker is required to complete training, they must have a UCR NetID and be entered into  systems so their information can be tracked and maintained in records.

For volunteers and visitors hired into UCPath as a Contingent Worker (CWR) with no previous work history*, the hiring department should take the following steps to facilitate access in addition to activation in UCPath:

  • NON-STUDENT CWR: Department should add the Employee ID into the entry in Enterprise Directory (if the CWR was issued an affiliate NetID, the department will need to submit a request to ITS to update EDIR).
  • UCR STUDENT CWR: Departments should open a ServiceLink ticket (Category: Identity Management, Subcategory: LDAP) and request ITS update LDAP. Please provide CWR's Student ID and Employee ID.

*CWRs who are former employees (previously hired in UCPath) should gain access as if they were a paid employee, without these additional steps. Or, if they have a SSN entered into UCPath (and Banner for students) they would gain access like any other employee.

Additional information on volunteer access is available at the UCR Learning Center Help Site

Volunteers & Minors

Departments that use volunteers to provide services that involve the care and security of minors must require the volunteer to undergo a background and/or criminal history check. Departments must also determine if the services the volunteer is providing with respect to minors makes them mandated reporters. If they do, the department must have the volunteer take special training on Care, safety and security of people, including children and minors, or property, including personal and university. Volunteer workers who work with minors are required to complete a Child Abuse and Neglect Act (CANRA) form. 

Record Keeping

Departments that utilize volunteers are responsible for maintaining written records on each volunteer. The records should include the Volunteer Registration Form, the Waiver of Liability, the CANRA from, and any other paperwork associated with any background checks and/or criminal checks that are performed. A record should be maintained on any training that the volunteer receives in addition to any equipment that they are issued. Departments are also responsible for maintaining an up-to-date and detailed written description of the services that the volunteer is to provide and a written record of the dates and hours during which the volunteer provides those services.

Report Injuries, Accidents & Property Losses Immediately

Auto Accidents
Bodily Injury
Employee Injury & Illness
Near Misses
Property Damage
3rd Party