In response to UCR’s campus closure, Risk Management is working remotely. For emergencies call UCPD (951) 827-5222 or dial 911 from a mobile phone.
COVID-19 Information and Guidance   |   AB 685 - Request for Anonymity on COVID Notifications to Unions


Events & Activities

Your First step should to be to contact HUB Scheduling 

The Highlander Event Scheduling Office has designed a very useful and helpful Event Planning Tools section on their website.

Other tips on event planning:

  1. Plan ahead
  2. Have a clear understanding of what your event will entail
  3. Provide a complete description of all event activities
  4. Appoint an event organizer/manager
  5. Consider security, parking, grounds and sanitation needs
  6. Do not underestimate your attendance
  7. If vendors, suppliers or outside parties are involved, contract review and negotiations are necessary and require prior approvals
  8. Serving alcohol and/or food require special permits and advance notice
  9. Signed waivers of liability are required of participants for most physical activities
  10. Do not make last minute changes and don’t assume - ask.

Events involving outside performers/vendors require proof of liability insurance, indemnification agreements and/or waivers of liability before the special event can be approved. The RSO/RSC is responsible for contacting the venue and making sure the performer/vendor is in compliance with all insurance requirements.


CGL - Commercial General Liability

BA - Business Automobile Liability for Owned, Scheduled, Non-Owned or Hired Automobile

WC - Workers Compensation

  1. Events involving off-campus commercial businesses, vendors, caterers, rental equipment or other off-campus organizations:
    BA (if vehicles will be driven on campus)
  2. Events involving off-campus performers/artists
    BA (if vehicles will be driven on campus)
  3. Events such as blood and marrow drives, medical testing and/or immunizations involving Private, Charitable Health Organizations (i.e. Red Cross):
    BA (if vehicles will be driven on campus)
    Medical Malpractice

An outside performer/vendor can potentially cause financial loss that exceeds the value of the contract. Anyone hired by an RSO exposes its members (and potentially the University) to liability however small the task. The requirement that the performer/vendor have adequate insurance coverage protects the members of the RSO from loss or damage due to the negligence of the performer/vendor.


A Certificate of Insurance (COI) is a document that provides evidence that an individual or entity has adequate insurance coverage in force to protect the interests of the University (and other parties when necessary). Outside performers/vendors must provide a current COI naming The Regents of the University of California as additional insured and showing the following minimum policy limits:

  1. [CGL] Commercial General Liability Insurance (including contractual liability) with minimum limits as follows:
    • Each occurrence $1 million
    • Aggregate $2 million
    • Products Completed Operations $2 million
    • Personal & Advertising Injury $1 million
    • Fire damage (any one fire) $100,000
    • Medical expense (any one person) $5,000
  2. [BA] Business Automobile Liability for Owned, Scheduled, Non-Owned or Hired Automobiles:
    • Combined Single Limit (per occurrence) $1 million
      • All vehicles driven onto the inner-campus must provide proof of auto liability coverage (including personal vehicles).
  3. [WC] Workers Compensation as required under California State Law.
  4. Medical Malpractice of $1 million per occurrence/$3 million general aggregate or $5 million per occurrence/$5 million aggregate. Contact Risk Management for guidance.

Additional coverage may be necessary, depending on the activity involved in the contract that involves a higher risk. Contact the Risk Management Office for input as to the appropriate coverage.


A contract provision where a party agrees to accept responsibility for another party's conduct through the payment of defense costs and ultimate settlement and/or judgment on behalf of the other party. There are different types of indemnification clauses, but the most equitable is a mutual indemnification clause.


Waivers (or releases of liability) are instruments designed to protect you and your group from legal liability for injuries that may occur to individuals who participate in voluntary activities.
A detailed explanation along with copies of the various waiver forms can be found on the Documents & Forms Page

Events may be required to provide proof of liability insurance, indemnification agreements and/or waivers of liability before the special event can be approved.

Registered Student Organizations (RSO)

  • RSO Event Liability Insurance –The University of California has created an insurance program to cover Registered Student Organizations (RSOs) for most on-campus events. Events covered by the policy are paid for by the University. However, RSOs are responsible for making sure their event is covered.

  • Many events are automatically covered while others must be registered through Campus Connexions. Click here for a list of events and associated risk classifications.
  • RSO’s must speak with Adam Daniels about access to the website. You must be registered to gain access to Campus Connexions.
  • Participant Waivers of Liability

Recognized Sports Clubs (RSC)

  • The University of California has created an insurance program to cover Recognized Sports Clubs for most on and off campus events. Events covered by the policy are paid for by the University. However, Recognized Sports Clubs are responsible for making sure their event is covered and may need to complete a registration form to request certificates of insurance for off campus venues.
  • To register your event, go to

Faculty and Alumni Support Groups

  • The University provides Event Liability coverage for events sponsored by qualified UC-affiliated foundations, alumni associations, and support groups. FAS Event Liability insurance provides coverage for certain liabilities arising from foundation, alumni association, and support group events and related activities.

TULIP (Tenant User Liability Insurance Program)

  • Individuals and outside organizations may hold events at facilities provided they:
    • Obtain written permission from the facility in charge of the space they wish to use
    • Provide the insurance for the event

Event Vendor/Exhibitor Liability Insurance

  • Paid performers, artists and speakers performing or exhibiting at an event are required to have insurance. *Non-paid or amateur performers may qualify for an Insurance Waiver. Please contact Risk Management if you think your person or group falls into this category. 
  • If the performer, artist or speaker has their own insurance, a copy of the insurance certificate must be sent to Risk Management prior to the event for approval. 
  • If the performer, artist or speaker does not have insurance, they may purchase a short term policy here: Campus Connexions.

Vendor/Contractor Insurance Program

  • UC has contracted with Marsh Campus Connexions to provide an annual policy to vendors and contractors performing work on behalf of the University of California.  
  • This coverage protects against claims of bodily injury and property damage liability for work performed on behalf of the UC as well as the litigation costs to defend against such claims.  
  • The cost for this annual coverage is $500. For more details and to apply, visit Campus Connexions.