University of California, Riverside

Risk Management

Events and Activities - Insurance Requirement Guidelines


Events involving outside performers/vendors require proof of liability insurance, indemnification agreements and/or waivers of liability before the special event can be approved. The RSO/RSC is responsible for contacting the venue and making sure the performer/vendor is in compliance with all insurance requirements.


CGL - Commercial General Liability

BA - Business Automobile Liability for Owned, Scheduled, Non-Owned or Hired Automobile

WC - Workers Compensation

  1. Events involving off-campus commercial businesses, vendors, caterers, rental equipment or other off-campus organizations:
    • CGL
    • BA (if vehicles will be driven on campus)
  2. Events involving off-campus performers/artists
    • CGL
    • BA vehicles will be driven on campus)
  3. Events such as blood and marrow drives, medical testing and/or immunizations involving Private, Charitable Health Organizations (i.e. Red Cross):
    • CGL
    • BA (if vehicles will be driven on campus)
    • WC
    • Medical Malpractice

An outside performer/vendor can potentially cause financial loss that exceeds the value of the contract. Anyone hired by an RSO exposes its members (and potentially the University) to liability however small the task. The requirement that the performer/vendor have adequate insurance coverage protects the members of the RSO from loss or damage due to the negligence of the performer/vendor.


A Certificate of Insurance (COI) is a document that provides evidence that an individual or entity has adequate insurance coverage in force to protect the interests of the University (and other parties when necessary). Outside performers/vendors must provide a current COI naming The Regents of the University of California as additional insured and showing the following minimum policy limits:

  1. [CGL] Commercial General Liability Insurance (including contractual liability) with minimum limits as follows:
    • Each occurrence $1 million
    • Aggregate $2 million
    • Products Completed Operations $2 million
    • Personal & Advertising Injury $1 million
    • Fire damage (any one fire) $100,000
    • Medical expense (any one person) $5,000
  2. [BA] Business Automobile Liability for Owned, Scheduled, Non-Owned or Hired Automobiles:
    • Combined Single Limit (per occurrence) $1 million
      • All vehicles driven onto the inner-campus must provide proof of auto liability coverage (including personal vehicles).
  3. [WC] Workers Compensation as required under California State Law.
  4. Medical Malpractice of $1 million per occurrence/$3 million general aggregate or $5 million per occurrence/$5 million aggregate. Contact Risk Management for guidance.

Additional coverage may be necessary, depending on the activity involved in the contract that involves a higher risk. Contact the Risk Management Office for input as to the appropriate coverage.


A contract provision where a party agrees to accept responsibility for another party's conduct through the payment of defense costs and ultimate settlement and/or judgment on behalf of the other party. There are different types of indemnification clauses, but the most equitable is a mutual indemnification clause.


Waivers (or releases of liability) are instruments designed to protect you and your group from legal liability for injuries that may occur to individuals who participate in voluntary activities.
A detailed explanation along with copies of the various waiver forms can be found by following these links:

More Information

General Campus Information

University of California, Riverside
900 University Ave.
Riverside, CA 92521
Tel: (951) 827-1012

UCR LibrariesCampus Status
Career OpportunitiesDiversity
Visit UCRMaps and Directions

Department Information

Risk Management Office
Environmental Health & Safety, Office 1156

Tel: (951) 827-8221
Fax: (951) 827-3202